Ediriweera, D.S., Kasturiratne, A., Pathmeswaran, A., Kithsiri, N., Gunawardena, B.A.W., Jayamanne, S.F., Kennedy, G., Isbister, A.D., Giorgi, E., Diggle, P.J. and Lalloo, D.G., Development of a Snakebite risk map for Sri Lanka.
- Snakebite is a neglected tropical disease
- Snakebite causes significant morbidity and mortality in poor rural communities
- Sri Lanka has 92 snake species
- 80,000 snakebites occur in each year
- Health care resources required for managing snakebite including anti-venom distribution is decided based on the administrative boundaries rather than based on scientific risk assessment
click here for the full text